Negative Binomial Random Coeffcient Mode

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
ktw08

Negative Binomial Random Coeffcient Mode

Post by ktw08 »

Hi All,

I am trying to estimate a Random Coefficient Model in a Negative Binomial framework and the variance structure looks to be a little wonky. I have a few questions and am hoping for a little guidance to run this model.

1. After switching to Neg. Binomial Regression, designating Y and offset. Should B0 be set as a constant? Does MLWin add a constant/and or error term into the equation for you? I guess the question is, do I need to add anything else to the model besides my predictors to get the model to run.
2. After allowing one of my level-one variables to vary (by selecting jState), when I add level-2 variables they are still predicting a random intercept correct?
3. Is it possible in MLWin to add the cross-level interactions in order to specify a "Slopes as Outcomes" model and examine how the level-2 variables predict the random slope/coefficient of the level one predictor.

Thanks for any help on this topic. I appreciate it, I am getting some results, but I want to be sure that I am doing what I think I am.

Cheers
Kevin