Constraining the variance to zero.

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
RasulGro

Constraining the variance to zero.

Post by RasulGro »

Hello,

I'm currently modelling a three level growth curve model with a linear and quadratic effect of time.
I followed the instructions of chapter 13 in the MLWin guide, however my is more complexe due to the inclusion of three instead of two levels.
Now, the linear effect of time is random on all three levels, the the quadratic effect is random on level 3 and 2. I want to test, whether I should include random effects for the quadratic term both levels or if I can exclude them.
For this purpose, is it sufficient if I seperately constrain the variance of the quadratic term to zero and compare the -2loglikelihood with the unconstrained model? Or do I have to constrain all associated covariances as well?

Kind regards,
Rasul
Harvey Goldstein

Re: Constraining the variance to zero.

Post by Harvey Goldstein »

My view would be that all associated covariances should be constrained to zero also.
harvey
ghudson621

Re: Constraining the variance to zero.

Post by ghudson621 »

You could constrain the co-variance to zero. :)