multilevel-analysis, predictor

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
inelieke

multilevel-analysis, predictor

Post by inelieke »

I am currently running a multilevel-analysis, using two levels. My data consist of 6400 intervals of observations of 60 children. The observations were done in rounds, each consisting of 30 intervals . The dependent variable I want to analyse is a variable that for methodological reasons has been aggregated on the round level(N=214). It is an ordinal variable. I would like to add some binomial predictors that have not been aggregated and are on the interval-level (N= 6400)- Is it allowed to do this, or should I first also aggregate these predictors (with the risk of getting less refined outcomes?
Sincerely hope someone can help me since I can't find information about this in the FAQs and courses.
inelieke

Re: multilevel-analysis, predictor

Post by inelieke »

Hello to you all,
Earlier on I posted my question regarding a multi-level-analysis I want to execute. Untill now nobody has answered it. Could it be that I have not explained my problem well enough? If so, please let me know if you need more information?
I sincerely hope someone can help me out!!
Thank you very much for all the hints or solutions you can give,
Ine
billb

Post by billb »

Hi Ine,
One always has to model at the level of the response i.e. if you are looking at what factors are affecting something measured at the round level then the predictors have to also be at the round level. If you have predictors that are measured at a finer granularity then you have to aggregate in some way to the round level. There are off course lots of ways to aggregate - mean, variance, min, max, range, percentage-yes etc.
Hope that helps,
Bill.
rebmlt86

Post by rebmlt86 »

Is it not possible to have a household-level outcome variable (say household income) and yet model data with the individual as the lowest-level unit? Therefore simply allocate members of the same household the same value on the outcome variable (same household income), and then account for that interdependence by including a random effect for the household membership? So model the individual's income (though really it is measured as household income) using individual-level and also household-level predictors?
billb

Post by billb »

Hi Ine,
What you are proposing would be a false replication i.e. you will be pretending you have more data than you have (particularly if you didn't put in the level 2 random effect). In fact once you put the random effect in unsurprisingly it will show all the variance is at level 2 and might in some software even cause estimation errors due to the 0 level 1 variance. This is different from a household level predictor for an individual level response which is fine.
As I said in my original reply you should aggregate any predictors to the level of your response and in fact if you try your approach and include the random effect at level 2 then you'll be doing something similar although you will be giving more weight to larger households in your analysis.
Hope this helps,
Bill.