Multilevel Mediation

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
calum

Multilevel Mediation

Post by calum »

Dear MLwiN Forum,

I am conducting simple multilevel mediation. That is, I have an IV, MV and a DV. The model I have specified is a random intercept fixed slopes (based on loglikelihood ratio tests). I have conducted the Baron & Kenny approach together with a Sobel test of the indirect effect (given that it is a fixed slope model there is no need to add the covariance of the slopes to ab). However, on further reading I believe that there are problems with Baron and Kenny’s approach and the use of the Sobel test. The received wisdom from the reading I have done is that a boostrapping method to test the significance of the indirect effect is perhaps the most robust method. However, I am not sure if MLwiN can perform such an analyses? if so how? if not does anyone have any recopmendations?

Many thanks,

Calum