effect sizes?

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
jellie1410

effect sizes?

Post by jellie1410 »

I wondering how one normally would obtain effect sizes (e.g., partial eta) for individual variables in multilevel models? Given that MLwiN does not provide them, I struggle with how to include them in my papers when running my models in MLwiN.
Thanks for your help.
billb

Re: effect sizes?

Post by billb »

Effect sizes come in many shapes and sizes and are often some function of the parameters of a statistical model or even simply the parameters themselves - for example Cohen's d is a measure based on the parameters for a difference scaled by standard errors and is very similar to a standardised regression coefficient when formulated as an intercept and group difference. MLwiN gives the equivalent of regression coefficients for the multilevel model and these could clearly be scaled (by dividing by the ses) to be standardised. Most measures however like Cohen's d (or indeed the partial eta (squared?) which you refer to) are developed with specific models in mind and not usually multilevel models.
Hope this helps a little.
Bill.
jellie1410

Post by jellie1410 »

Thanks! Just one follow up: would you advice me to therefore report standardized beta's in a manuscript as reflecting the size of the effect?
billb

Post by billb »

Hi jellie1410,
I guess your best bet is to look for examples where multilevel models have been used in the journal in question and copy the conventions used. Some journals simply have tables with coefficients, some with binary responses use odds ratios etc.