file errors

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
ls7204

file errors

Post by ls7204 »

Hello

I have a whole load of mlwin files (on which I have run ordinal multinomial models with MCMC) which suddenly won't open due to various errors.

Most of them say "cannot allocate smatrix" and another says "Error -3 decompressing file". Also a few will open but when I try to store the models I get the error "Incorrect hierarchy information".

A few other files are completely fine though! Is there any way to retrieve my modelling results or will I have to start all over again? How can I stop this happening in the future?

Thanks a lot

Laura
ChrisCharlton

Re: file errors

Post by ChrisCharlton »

The "cannot allocate smatrix" message will appear if there is not enough worksheet space to store a matrix. You may be able to get around this by increasing the worksheet size, however if the data is corrupted this may not work as it may be trying to allocating an impossibly big matrix.

The "Error -3 decompressing file" indicates that there is a problem with the compressed version of the file, which if it was readable before would definitely indicate some form of external data corruption has taken place.

For the worksheets where you get the "Incorrect hierarchy information" error when attempting to store the model you may be able to fix this by starting running the model again and then storing it.

If it is possible for you to send me a sample of worksheets with the problems then I could see if there is anything recoverable in them.

As far as preventing this from happening again, if the files have been corrupted by an external program or hardware problem then all I can suggest is that you keep archive copies of important worksheets on another computer. In any case it may be useful to save copies of worksheets as your analysis progresses so that you can go back if necessary.
ls7204

Post by ls7204 »

Thanks very much for the reply. I've started from scratch with all my models in the end and will be sure to do a lot more backing up from now on! Possibly the files got corrupted as I was transferring them a lot between computers via a memory stick.
ls7204

Post by ls7204 »

Hi Chris

I'm now having some problems actually running the new models I've set up. After clicking "Yes" to Contine Estimation? on the first IGLS/RIGLS numeric warning that comes up, I get an error that says "illegal op: v_block::mult_add()"

Any idea what could be causing this? I've not had a problem with it before.

Thanks a lot

Laura
ls7204

Post by ls7204 »

I don't know if this helps but I found that these errors mostly occurred when I created files on one computer/version of MLwiN and then tried to save them on another computer/version of MLwiN.