Characteristic is not defined at correct level of analysis

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
KatrijnDelar

Characteristic is not defined at correct level of analysis

Post by KatrijnDelar »

Dear all,

I am trying to run a model that has a nesting structure as shown in the attached figure.
However, when I want to incorporate a country-cohort characteristic, MLwiN does not recognize it as defined at this level (neither in IGLS, nor in MCMC). MLwiN considers it as a cohort characteristic, and subsequently I cannot obtain the correct coefficient.
When I leave the cohort level out of my nesting structure, MLwiN recognizes my country-cohort characteristic correctly and gives a completely different coefficient.

I really hope that someone can give me some advice!

Thanks,
Katrijn
Nesting structure.JPG
Nesting structure.JPG (19.44 KiB) Viewed 12848 times
ChrisCharlton

Re: Characteristic is not defined at correct level of analysis

Post by ChrisCharlton »

It looks like your data structure is cross-classified, so you would need to fit the model using MCMC with this option turned on. See chapter 15 of the MCMC manual (http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/media/soft ... mc-web.pdf) for more details.
KatrijnDelar

Post by KatrijnDelar »

Dear Chris,

Thank your for your quick reply.

However, I actually do use MCMC (with the cross-classification option turned on).
When I add my country-cohort characteristics, the variable has a lm-subscript (which corresponds to the cohort level).
Do you know whether something else could cause this problem?

In any case, many thanks,
Katrijn
ChrisCharlton

Post by ChrisCharlton »

As described in 15.2 of the MCMC guide cross-classified models are normally written with a single subscript. The multiple subscript notation assumes that the model is nested, so this may be what is causing the confusion. To turn on the single subscript mode you need to click the Notation button on the equations window and untick multiple subscripts. To check that the number of units being used is what you expect you need to go to the Model->Hierarchy Viewer window.
KatrijnDelar

Post by KatrijnDelar »

Thanks!
Katrijn