interpreting main effect in random slopes model

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
emazel90

interpreting main effect in random slopes model

Post by emazel90 »

Hi,

I have a model with time at level 1 and person at level 2. I have added random slopes for time which are significant, however when I do this time as a fixed effect is insignificant.

I was wondering how I interpret this? Is time as a main effect insignificant, and if so can I remove it as a fixed effect and keep it only as a random effect?

Thanks
GeorgeLeckie
Site Admin

Re: interpreting main effect in random slopes model

Post by GeorgeLeckie »

Dear emazel90,

I would keep the time trend in the fixed-part of the model even if the slope is not significant. The fixed-part time trend is such a fundamental part of the model, it would look odd to remove it, even though it is not significant.

Essentially the population mean does not change over time, but persons are presumably on differential trajectories around this flat mean trajectory with some person trajectories sloping upwards, other downwards.

Best wishes

George