saving within-group residual variances

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
ninalasek

saving within-group residual variances

Post by ninalasek »

Hello,

is it possible to save the within-group residual variances per group (the sigma_sqrd_j's) in a twolevel intercepts-as-outcome-model? If so, how can this be done? I'd like to use the within-group variances for further analyses...

Many thanks for your response,
Nina
billb

Re: saving within-group residual variances

Post by billb »

Hi Nina,
Not sure I understand your question with regard the per group statement. The model will have a variance at level 1 and level 2 and residuals at level 2 but there isn't a different variance for each group in this model.
Best wishes,
Bill.
ninalasek

Post by ninalasek »

Dear Bill,

sorry for my imprecise question - it is of course not the variance of the residuals per contextual unit, but the residual for contextual unit j.
For example, if there 50 contextual units, I assume that there will be 50 residuals, and it is these 50 residuals I would be interested in...

Many thanks for your reply!
Best,
Nina
ChrisCharlton

Post by ChrisCharlton »

If you use the Model->Residuals menu option then you can save the residuals for a chosen level into new columns. Is this what you are after?
ninalasek

Post by ninalasek »

...yes, thanks for this hint!
best
Nina