empirical Bayes CIs for level-2 means

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
quecher

empirical Bayes CIs for level-2 means

Post by quecher »

I'm using a random intercept null model for longitudinal data, with level 1 having 3-10 timepoints of measurements in individuals, which are level 2. I'm interested in predicting the 90% confidence intervals of each individual's mean. I'm familiar with using the Residuals and Predictions windows to calculate level-2 means and residuals, but I'd like the "empirical Bayes" predictions of the confidence intervals.

When I estimated these in SAS Proc Mixed, the confidence intervals for individual means were not always evenly spread above and below the mean, so they aren't equivalent to simply multiplying each standard error of the level-2 predicted means by 1.96. I've tried using the Customised Predictions window to no avail. Is there a way to get these types of results without using MCMC?

-Jen