Pratical help - open worksheet

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
SabineKatzdobler

Pratical help - open worksheet

Post by SabineKatzdobler »

Good day,

for several weeks I have a practical problem: Everytime I open a specific worksheet in MLwiN, a great number of additional missing values are created. As a result I am forced to delete all values first, then I can start working with my data. I really would appreciate help. Is there any change in the settings important?

Kind regards,

Sabine
ChrisCharlton

Re: Pratical help - open worksheet

Post by ChrisCharlton »

Can you confirm that you are actually saving an MLwiN worksheet (.ws or .wsz) and not in a data format for another package? Other packages require rectangular data, so when saving files for use in these MLwiN has to fill in the gaps with missing values. This becomes a particular problem when saving after a model has been run, as MLwiN will place the results in fairly high columns (e.g. 1096-1099). This will result in a lot of columns containing missing values. It would also be a problem if any of the data has been expanded (for example in multivariate/multinomial models). If you do need to save the data into another format then the workaround would be to use the export option and only select the columns that you actually require.
SabineKatzdobler

Re: Pratical help - open worksheet

Post by SabineKatzdobler »

Solved! I am really grateful that you answered very quickly. That was enormous help.
The reason for the problem involved that I used dta-files so far.