Level identification for repeated measures

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
JosipKaruc

Level identification for repeated measures

Post by JosipKaruc »

Hi,

I wonder if there is a
I am currently working on study that aims to investigate how physical activity level (predictor) is related to sleep duration (outcome) in adolescents (n=92). We have tracked students for seven days (i.e. we have 7 measurements for each subject for every variable) which makes this study a study with a repeated measures design. Also, students are clustered within the classes (n=68) within the schools (n=4). Physical activity level, sleep duration, and other confounding variables are continuous.

My questions are following:

1. Do I have 4-level structured data (i.e. measurements at L-1; students at L-2; classes at L-3; and schools at L-4) ?

2. Can I statistically compare models at level-1 (which includes measurements) with models at level-2 (wich includes measurements and students) to see where is more clustering?

3. Does L-1 variable (i.e. measurements) is set in mlwin in the same way as other ''typical'' variable of interest (e.g. student at L-1)?

4. Which 'statistical approach' is best for these kind of structured data?

Thanks

Josip
billb

Re: Level identification for repeated measures

Post by billb »

Hi Josip,
You appear to have a 4 level structure but in practice you would fit this as 3-levels with school just included as fixed effect dummies as you only have 4 schools. I am not sure I understand your 2nd question but fitting it as 3 levels would give you variances for the 3 levels so you could see the relative variability at levels 1 and 2. So yes to question 3 you can set measurement at level 1 within student at level 2.
Question 4 is a bit too vague - for repeated measures the choice is to fit the 3 level model as described or alternatively to fit a multivariate model for the time points with a 2 level structure above (students in classes). I think which is better depends on your research question.
Best wishes,
Bill.