many households with one individual

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
giodje12

many households with one individual

Post by giodje12 »

Hi everyone,
I am currently working on a project with the following sample:
26458 individuals (level-1) nested within 16458 households (level-2) within 12 countries (level-3). Thus, many of my households (around 40%) are singleton (just one individual per household). I need to fit a multilevel logistic model, with roughly 5 predictors at level-1, 2 at level-2, and 4 at level-3.
I know that in these types of situation the first and second order quasi-likelihood procedures perform poorly whereas the second order penalised quasi-likelihood method would be a better one to use. To my understanding, I should also compare the PQL2 results with findings obtained from alternative estimation procedures (such as MCMC).

My problem is that –when i consider the household level –the model does not converge, even when i try to build the null model. I also tried to use the parameter estimates from the MQL 1model as starting values for MQL2; still no convergence. I get either 1.#QO(000) or I get a window saying that there were numeric errors replaced with missing values.
If i ignore that level (and only consider individuals and countries), i have no problems/errors.

Does anyone know what is going on? Am i doing something wrong? Any help with this issue would be highly appreciated!
Kind regards,
Giorgio