MLwiN on my computer?

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
MLwiN-User

MLwiN on my computer?

Post by MLwiN-User »

Can I install MLwiN onto a Mac?
Last edited by MLwiN-User on Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MLwiN-Support

Re: MLwiN on my PC?

Post by MLwiN-Support »

If you want to run MLwiN you will have to run it under Windows, either through virtualisation software which is available commercially (for example www.vmware.com/products/fusion/ or www.parallels.com) or for free as open source software (for example Sun's VirtualBox), or by dual booting using Apple's Boot Camp. All of these require a legal copy of Windows to use on your Mac.
MLwiN-User

Re: MLwiN on my computer?

Post by MLwiN-User »

Is MLwiN compatible with Microsoft Vista or 64-bit systems?
Last edited by MLwiN-User on Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MLwiN-Support

Post by MLwiN-Support »

Yes, MLwiN 2.1 is compatible with Vista. It hasn't been tested on 64-bit systems, but please let us know if you have any problems with this. For further info about compatability - http://www.cmm.bris.ac.uk/MLwiN/features/sysreq.shtml
MLwiN-User

Post by MLwiN-User »

We are currently re-designing our network, which means that our MLwiN users will have to access the data MLwiN uses through a Citrix-"window" and they will not be allowed to put the data onto their local hard disk. This means that MLwiN cannot run on their computers but must reside in the secure network, and either be processed on the Citrix-server/Citrix-desktop, or running on a dedicated application-server.
MLwiN-Support

Post by MLwiN-Support »

We do not have a Citrix system here aty CMM to test MLwiN on, so cannot give a definitive answer, however we have had reports of people using MLwiN successfully on this and similar systems. MLwiN 2.1 should have more success that previous versions as it no longer attempts to write files temporarily to its program directory.
One thing to note is that MLwiN loads the whole data set being analysed into memory, so if your users are running models on large data sets on the same machine you may run into memory issues. Running more complex models can also be quite CPU intensive. Whether this is an issue for you will depend on the number of processors in your server machine and the number of simultaneous MLwiN users. Each instance of MLwiN can only make use of a single processor, so as long as the number of copies running a model is less than or equal to the number of processors in the machine there should be no slowdown compared with running it on the user's machine.