same categories appearing multiple times in tabulation

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
shanekav

same categories appearing multiple times in tabulation

Post by shanekav »

Hi,
Why, when I tabulate categorical data, do I sometimes get two instances of the same category appearing with the cases split between each?

thanks in advance

Shane Kavanagh
ChrisCharlton

Re: same categories appearing multiple times in tabulation

Post by ChrisCharlton »

Are you using the most recent version of MLwiN? The tabulate command was originally written for mln, which was a text based application limited to 80 columns of text per line. Because of this any output which was longer than this had to be wrapped around onto the line below. This should have been fixed in MLwiN several versions ago, so if you find this happening with the current version then please provide an example so that I can replicate the problem.
shanekav

Post by shanekav »

Hi Chris,
Thanks for getting back to me. It sounds like an unrelated issue to me.

I am using mlwin 2.26 and using the drop down menu to tabulate data. I have downloaded a pre-existing data set. When I tabulate certain categorical variables the tabulation shows for example:
income0 income0 income1 income2 etc - there are a number of cases listed under each of these duplicate categories and these sum up to what is expected from the codebook for that particular category.

This is not causing me any obvious problem, but I thought it may indicate an underlying issue with my data

thanks

Shane
ChrisCharlton

Post by ChrisCharlton »

Assuming that the values of the variable are integer and that the categories are only defined once each (you can check this with the view categories button in the names window) then this sounds like a bug. Would it be possible for you to send me some example data, along with information on the variables that you are tabulating and I can look into this?