large datasets

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
MLwiN-User

large datasets

Post by MLwiN-User »

I am doing 2-level logistic modeling using MLwiN. My data has >250,000 individuals within >700 clusters. I have less than 10 covariates.
MLwiN-Support

Re: large datasets

Post by MLwiN-Support »

Try using a random sub-sample of your data. With only 2 levels, 700 level 2 units and 10 covariates you do not need nearly as many as 250000 observations to get precise estimates. You will be able to work a lot more quickly with a smaller sample and therefore be able to explore more avenues and potential models etc
MLwiN-User

Post by MLwiN-User »

Basically, it doesn't work for the whole data on MLwiN (even single level logistic) although it works for a subset smaller data (about 5000). I don't realize any problems for importing the entire whole data.
MLwiN-Support

Post by MLwiN-Support »

You can check whether the entire dataset has been imported properly by comparing the summary statistics: are they the same in MLwiN as in your other stats package
MLwiN-User

Post by MLwiN-User »

Errors: There are three types of errors. One shows me 'out of memory'. And the 2nd one shows me 'no sufficient worksheet size. The 3rd one is that MLwiN is just crashed and turn off. I have two questions. 1)can MLwiN handle such a huge data?
MLwiN-Support

Post by MLwiN-Support »

Yes. But depends of course on the spec of your computer. See 'How do I know MLwiN can handle the model based on my own data?' (http://www.cmm.bristol.ac.uk/MLwiN/tech ... html#capac)
MLwiN-User

Post by MLwiN-User »

How to re-configure/specify worksheet size from the 'option'?
MLwiN-Support

Post by MLwiN-Support »

Go to options>worksheet then increase worksheet size to a large amount (experiment)