MCMC Error 0421

Welcome to the forum for runmlwin users. Feel free to post your question about runmlwin here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Go to runmlwin: Running MLwiN from within Stata >> http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/runmlwin/
rdmcdowell

MCMC Error 0421

Post by rdmcdowell »

Hello. I am fitting a multivariate 2 level model, where both responses are proportions (ie grouped binary data). When I try running the Model using MCMC to obtain a Bayesian DIC (for model comparison purposes later) I get the message "MCMC Error 0421:Can only use Gibbs sampling with 0/1 data. Please change to MH". Ch19 of the MCMC manual refers to the DIC not being available for mixed response models (eg normal/binomial). Would someone be able to advise if this applies here, or whether with amending by the code I can obtain a DIC?. Many thanks for any insights anyone can offer !
ChrisCharlton

Re: MCMC Error 0421

Post by ChrisCharlton »

You should be able to fix the error that you are seeing by opening the Model->MCMC->MCMC Methods window and then changing the estimation method to one of the MH options. The -runmlwin- equivalent to this is using the univariatemh or multivariatemh options within mcmc_method (see the help file for more details).

MLwiN is unable to calculate a value for the DIC if any of the responses in the mixed response model are non-normal, so yes unfortunately this applies here. There is no way around this limitation.
rdmcdowell

Re: MCMC Error 0421

Post by rdmcdowell »

Thanks very much for your reply. That's what I thought, so wanted to double check. Keep up the good work!