error: too few quotes

Welcome to the forum for runmlwin users. Feel free to post your question about runmlwin here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Go to runmlwin: Running MLwiN from within Stata >> http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/runmlwin/
laura

error: too few quotes

Post by laura »

Hi,
I updated runlwin today (using adoupdate runmlwin, update), and now none of my models will run! Do files that were running fine this morning are now stuck and give the error message "too few quotes". Has something changed about the syntax?
Thanks
Laura
ChrisCharlton

Re: error: too few quotes

Post by ChrisCharlton »

The syntax should still match that in the help file, however it is possible that one of the undocumented options may have changed. Alternatively a bug may have crept in that wasn't picked up in testing. Would it be possible for you to provide an example of the syntax that fails?
laura

Post by laura »

Hi Chris,

Here's the syntax:

global MLwiN_path C:\Program Files\MLwiN v2.22\mlwin.exe
foreach var of varlist fpm2 {
runmlwin bmi cons `var', level2 (id: cons, reset(none)) level1 (occ: cons) nopause maxiterations(100)
}

Have tried running old do files, which definitely worked before I updated, and they are all giving the same error message.

Thanks,
Laura
ChrisCharlton

Post by ChrisCharlton »

Thanks for this. It appears that a bug has been introduced when parsing the reset option, which is what was causing your error. I have fixed this in the development version so it should be fixed next time we do an update. In the meantime you can either run the models without the reset option, or if you are happy editing the runmlwin.ado file you can fix the problem in your version by changing the line:

if "`all'" == "" & "`variances' == "" & `none' == "" {

to

if "`all'" == "" & "`variances'" == "" & "`none'" == "" {
laura

Post by laura »

Thanks Chris, have edited the ado file and it's now running fine