comparing models

Welcome to the forum for runmlwin users. Feel free to post your question about runmlwin here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Go to runmlwin: Running MLwiN from within Stata >> http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/runmlwin/
mariemurphy

comparing models

Post by mariemurphy »

Hello. I am trying to compare 3 models in order to establish whether or not to pursue two multi-level structures. The models are as follows:
1: a null single level model using the regress command
2: a null two-level model using the runmlwin command (school and student)
3: a null cross-classified model (with two sets of level 2 units) using runmlwin mcmc (school, neighbourhood, student)

Can anyone suggest the best way to do this please? I have been comparing my simple two-level models (with predictor variables added) using lrtest and have been comparing my cross-classified mcmc models using the DIC, but I am unsure how to decide if I should pursue the cross-classified model versus the two-level model in particular.

The VPC does suggest a very small amount of neighbourhood clustering in the cross-classified model (<1%), but I can't decide if this is substantial enough to pursue the cross-classified model.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best wishes,
Marie
billb

Re: comparing models

Post by billb »

Hi Marie,
To compare models 2 and 3 you can fit them both using runmlwin and MCMC and then compare the 2 DIC values.
Regards,
Bill.
mariemurphy

Re: comparing models

Post by mariemurphy »

thanks Bill, much appreciated!