Predicted Values

Welcome to the forum for runmlwin users. Feel free to post your question about runmlwin here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Go to runmlwin: Running MLwiN from within Stata >> http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/runmlwin/
vivian1234

Predicted Values

Post by vivian1234 »

Hi, I have some questions about the calculation of predicted values in runmlwin.

My model has two levels (level 1: individual; level 2: country). I was trying to fit a random slope model on my data with a continuous outcome. The continuous outcome ranges between 0 and 18. There are around 10 categorical and 5 continuous EVs at level 1 and there are 4 continuous level 2 EVs. The level 1 continuous EVs are all centered to mean. I have the random slope on one of the continuous EV (level 1).

When I was calculating the predicted values, I used the following syntax:

Code: Select all

gen ypred = [FP1]cons + [FP1]EV1*EV1 + u0 + u1* EV1
sort COUNTRY EV1
line ypred EV1, connect(a) 
As my outcome variable ranges between 0 and 18, I was expecting the predicted value will be in the same range. However, the predicted values ranges between -3 to 3. I have checked the mean and variance of the predicted value, they are neither mean zero or variance one. That's why I believe it is not due to the predicted value is being standardised.

Would anyone be able to give me some advice?

Thanks a lot.

Vivian
ChrisCharlton

Re: Predicted Values

Post by ChrisCharlton »

In this prediction you are making the assumption that the parameters not included have a value of zero, which I suspect is not the case. If the prediction expression matched the model then you should get values closer to your original response variable.