runmlwin in Batch mode - gui causing error?

Welcome to the forum for runmlwin users. Feel free to post your question about runmlwin here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Go to runmlwin: Running MLwiN from within Stata >> http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/runmlwin/
ash

runmlwin in Batch mode - gui causing error?

Post by ash »

hi-

I need to estimate a series of models in batch via runmlwin. I have the setup working except for the final call to runmlwin. I can even open stata and execute runmlwin with the -nomlwin option! I'm pretty sure the issue is that even though stata is being run in batch mode runmlwin is spawning MLwiN in gui mode which isn't normally possible in a non-interactive shell context.

just to be clear: I have a scheduler logging in as some (probably reduced permission) version of me and running myscript.BAT which executes stata in batch mode. This works just fine and generates log files. However when i include a runmlwin command the whole process just hangs - no log file, no error message.

someone have a trick up their sleeve?

best,

ash
ChrisCharlton

Re: runmlwin in Batch mode - gui causing error?

Post by ChrisCharlton »

You may want to try an undocumented experimental option in runmlwin to suppress the MLwiN GUI while running. To use this add the option batch where you would normally put nopause. The major downside to this is that you will no longer see any error messages produced by MLwiN, so it might be a good idea to test your models with the normal options first to make sure they work correcly. We have not done much testing with this option, so if you do use it and come across any issues please let us know.
ash

Re: runmlwin in Batch mode - gui causing error?

Post by ash »

WORKS!!!!! thanks!