...invalid output / STATA 14 / macOS High Sierra

Welcome to the forum for runmlwin users. Feel free to post your question about runmlwin here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Go to runmlwin: Running MLwiN from within Stata >> http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/runmlwin/
KazimovHH

...invalid output / STATA 14 / macOS High Sierra

Post by KazimovHH »

Dear Contributors,

I face a problem with running runmlwin through the Stata (14) in macOS High Sierra.

I have read similar topics. Unfortunately, I was not able to solve the problem.
I run the two-level models from the example given in the Stata. It results in '...invalid' output.

I show the global path:
global MLwiN_path "/Users/University/Library/Application Support/Stata/ado/plus/r/runmlwin.ado"

However, I am not sure if this is a right entry for a global path in macOS.

here is the command from the example:

. use http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/media/runmlwin/tutorial, clear
. runmlwin normexam cons standlrt, level2(school: cons) level1(student:
cons) nopause
. . . invalid name

Please see attached file for 'set trace on' command. Page number 32 / highlighted

Thank you very much.
Regards,
Attachments
invalid_name.docx
(122.04 KiB) Downloaded 385 times
ChrisCharlton

Re: ...invalid output / STATA 14 / macOS High Sierra

Post by ChrisCharlton »

I think that this is due to a bug where the MLwiN version number being missing (which will always happen on non-Windows machines) is causing a check to fail. Could you please try the test version of -runmlwin- linked in viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2617 to see whether this resolves the problem for you?
KazimovHH

Post by KazimovHH »

Dear Chris,

I have downloaded 'ado' file from the given link.

I have manually installed runmlwin into the personal folder in Stata. Afterward, I changed the ado document in the folder and ran the command 'discard'.

I assume that this is the right way to try the test version.

Now results are:
The model did not run properly in MLwiN. Re-run the model without the nopause option to debug the model in MLwiN.
(I tried the model with pause, again does not work )

Please see attached file for 'set trace on' command. Page number 53 / highlighted

I checked the global path with 'shell' not it says no such file or directory. Do you have any specific suggestions how to show the global path in macOS for runmlwin? I assume that the global_path may be the reason to the problem.

My global path is: "global MLwiN_path "/Users/University/Library/Application Support/Stata/ado/personal"

shell $MLwiN_path: "/bin/bash: /Users/University/Library/Application: No such file or directory"
Attachments
didnot_properly.docx
(106.32 KiB) Downloaded 377 times
ChrisCharlton

Post by ChrisCharlton »

As you suggest it looks like the MLwiN_path global is not correctly set. This needs to point to the location where you have placed the mlnscript files extracted from the .dmg archive that you downloaded from https://www.cmm.bristol.ac.uk/clients/softwaredownload/. If, for example you had put the files into the /usr/local/bin/ directory then you would set the global as follows:

Code: Select all

global MLwiN_path "/usr/local/bin/mlnscript"
KazimovHH

Post by KazimovHH »

Dear Chris,

Thank you very much for the link.

The link states that "Please note that to download MLwiN or Stat-JR via this page you need to be already registered with us as a license holder. To enable us to validate your request, you must use the email address associated with your license'.

I run MLwiN from within Stata, at the Humboldt Uni. I do not hold a license for the MLwiN program. Is there any other possibility to download mlnscript for Mac OS X?

Thank you very much.
ChrisCharlton

Post by ChrisCharlton »

Use of the scripting versions of MLwiN is included with the MLwiN license, so if the University is providing MLwiN then they should be able to use their registered email to also download the Mac scripting version for you. If this isn't the case then the only other option for obtaining this would be to buy another license.
KazimovHH

Post by KazimovHH »

Dear Chris,

Thank you very much for the suggestion.
I have already downloaded MLN.dmg.

I used your link with the ado file and included global path. Now the model is running based on the example in Stata help.

However, it says 'Warning: getversion plugin could not be loaded'.

I add this episode here:

- version 9.0
- syntax [anything] [, *]
- tempname ver1
- tempname ver2
- tempname ver3
- tempname ver4
- scalar `ver1' = .
= scalar __000000 = .
- scalar `ver2' = .
= scalar __000001 = .
- scalar `ver3' = .
= scalar __000002 = .
- scalar `ver4' = .
= scalar __000003 = .
- capture plugin call runmlwin_getversion, `"`anything'"' "`ver1'" "`ver2'" "`ver3'" "`ver4'"
= capture plugin call runmlwin_getversion, `"/Volumes/mln-files/mlnscript"' "__000000" "__000001" "__000002" "__000003"
- if c(rc) == 199 {
- display as error "Warning: getversion plugin could not be loaded"
Warning: getversion plugin could not be loaded
- }
- display as text "Version: " `ver1' as text "." `ver2' as text "." `ver3' as text "." `ver4'
= display as text "Version: " __000000 as text "." __000001 as text "." __000002 as text "." __000003
- return clear
- return scalar ver1 = `ver1'
= return scalar ver1 = __000000
- return scalar ver2 = `ver2'
= return scalar ver2 = __000001
- return scalar ver3 = `ver3'
= return scalar ver3 = __000002
- return scalar ver4 = `ver4'
= return scalar ver4 = __000003

Should I ignore this message, since I am non-Windows user and this ado file is the test version?

Also attached file for 'set trace on' command. Page number 23 / highlighted

Looking forward.
Regards,
Attachments
getversion_donotwork.docx
(112.59 KiB) Downloaded 368 times
ChrisCharlton

Post by ChrisCharlton »

Yes, that is correct. To determine the version of MLwiN being used (for various functionality checks and reporting in the output) we have a plugin that examines the program's executable to determine its version. We currently only include this for Windows, which is why you get the message that it cannot be loaded.
KazimovHH

Post by KazimovHH »

Dear Chris,

Thank you very much for your support and prompt feedback.
Best Regards,