unable to use weights in runmlwin, STATA 15

Welcome to the forum for runmlwin users. Feel free to post your question about runmlwin here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Go to runmlwin: Running MLwiN from within Stata >> http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/runmlwin/
Jeff007c

unable to use weights in runmlwin, STATA 15

Post by Jeff007c »

Hello:

I am a new used to runmlwin and am having trouble apply sampling weights.

I want to use sampling weights at level1 since the data are survey data and the data set includes weighting variable. For these estimations, I have about 34,000 cases and 10 years, the level 2 variable. (I want to turn to runmlwin because STATA can not handle the full data set, about 300,000 cases and eventually I want to use ordered logit estimator. Right now I am just trying to use simpler models to learn how to use runmlwin).

Everything is fine when I run the estimation without weights, but when adding weights, I get several errors.

First, I get this error message: "The model did not run properly in MLwiN. You most likely clicked the 'Abort Macro' button in MLwiN, rather than the 'Resume Macro' button."

I made sure to "adoupdate runmlwin, update" which was successful and recommended in another post.

But when I drop "nopause" the mlwin page flashes off quickly. I am able to see the message, which reads "0 of 0 cases".

Here are the two lines of code, the first which runs successfully, the second which does not (sorry, I can not figure out how to use the "Code" boxes I see in other posts. I wonder if I have the syntax wrong or should be doing something differently.

runmlwin app_gov04 cons unem , level2(year: cons) level1(casenum: cons) nopause

runmlwin app_gov04 cons unem , level2(year: cons) level1(casenum: cons, weightvar(weight)) nopause

Thank you for your help.
ChrisCharlton

Re: unable to use weights in runmlwin, STATA 15

Post by ChrisCharlton »

Which version of MLwiN are you using? These symptoms sound similar to a bug in version 3.01 related to calculating the missing indicator for models with weights.
Jeff007c

Post by Jeff007c »

Hello Chris:

Yes,I have MLwin 3.01.

I see that there is a recent 3.02. What is the process for upgrading to it.

Thank you
ChrisCharlton

Post by ChrisCharlton »

To update you just need to fill in the form at https://www.cmm.bristol.ac.uk/clients/softwaredownload/ using the same information that you used to obtain the software. You will then be given a download link to the new version.
Jeff007c

Post by Jeff007c »

Dear Chris:

MLwin was purchased for me through the University I work at. The office there used their name and email. I do have email documentation from them on the purchase. Is it possible for me to use my email and name, and provide you with that information (which includes date of service and online order number,unique customer service number, etc?

Sorry to be a pest.
ChrisCharlton

Post by ChrisCharlton »

The system automatically matches against the registered email address (and sends the download link there). You could try contacting our administrators (info-cmm@bristol.ac.uk or mlwin-order@bristol.ac.uk) to see if they can add your address to the purchase record.