MLwiN very slow to load data from runmlwin [SOLVED]

Welcome to the forum for runmlwin users. Feel free to post your question about runmlwin here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Go to runmlwin: Running MLwiN from within Stata >> http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/runmlwin/
ewancarr

MLwiN very slow to load data from runmlwin [SOLVED]

Post by ewancarr »

I'm trying to run some 2- and 3-level binary models via runmlwin. For some reason, MLwiN is taking a very long time to load the data each time a model is run — the "Reading record..." message in the status bar takes about 10 minutes to finish. I've run similar models without problems in the past.

Are there any possible explanations for this? The dataset is fairly straightforward:

Code: Select all

N             = 59,226  
Variables     = 38 
The model is:

xi: runmlwin affect cons, ///
   level2(wave: cons) ///
   level1(uniqid:) ///
   discrete(dist(binomial) link(logit) denom(denom) pql2) ///
   maxiterations(40) ///
   nopause 
While I'm here: does runmlwin support factor variables? I've been using "xi:" up until now, which isn't ideal.

I'm using the latest version of runmlwin and MLwiN 2.25.

Many thanks,

Ewan
--
Last edited by ewancarr on Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GeorgeLeckie
Site Admin

Re: MLwiN very slow to load data from runmlwin

Post by GeorgeLeckie »

Hi Ewan,

Sounds odd. The data set that corresponds to the runmlwin model that you pasted into the post only has ~60,000 rows and 5 variables. This is very small and should not take long at all to load at all, really just a matter of seconds.

Please first check that you are using the latest version of runmlwin and that you get the same problem with this latest version

ssc install runmlwin, replace
Then please email me the Stata do-file and dataset to replicate the problem

Best wishes

George
ewancarr

Re: MLwiN very slow to load data from runmlwin [SOLVED]

Post by ewancarr »

Thanks George — after some trial and error, I seem to have solved my own problem.

For some reason, I had left my individual-level ID as a string variable. Once I replaced this with an integer ID variable (gen pid = _n) the file loaded almost instantly into MLwiN.

I think what threw me was that I had changed a few things at once (Stata 12, MLwiN 2.25, new data) in the past few days, so assumed some of these were causing the problem.

Many thanks for getting back so quickly,

Ewan
--
GeorgeLeckie
Site Admin

Post by GeorgeLeckie »

Great,

I'm glad you have solved the problem and thank you for letting us know.

Best wishes

George
ChrisCharlton

Post by ChrisCharlton »

To answer your other question, runmlwin should support factor variables in the fixed part but this hasn't been widely tested.
ewancarr

Post by ewancarr »

To answer your other question, runmlwin should support factor variables in the fixed part but this hasn't been widely tested.
Thanks — I'll give it a go.

Ewan
--