mcmc error

Welcome to the forum for runmlwin users. Feel free to post your question about runmlwin here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Go to runmlwin: Running MLwiN from within Stata >> http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/runmlwin/
HarrieJonkman

mcmc error

Post by HarrieJonkman »

Dear runmlwin-runners,

We are trying to run a Bayesian analyses on a three level dataset (individuals=57771, schools=1344 and countries=25). Because of complexity (more random slopes) and not a big number of countries they advised us a Bayes estimator. Simple models run well (M0, see syntax down) but when it becomes more complex (M1, see below, and further) it gives an error (error whiled obeying batch file C:\Document~1\HJonkman\Look~1\temp\st010001o.tmp at line number 188: west, mcmc error 0003: matrix must be positive definite for inversion

In stata it tells: The model did not run properly in MLwin. Return the model without the nopause option to debug the model in MLwin. (me: I removed nopause but this was not the problem).

In the usergroup mail I see it has to do with starting values for covariance parameters. But, how to change this.

I send you a part of syntax where it gives this error. Maybe you know what to do.

Big best, Harrie

*M0 : Three level model: intercept-only model(empty model)
order acountry schoolid id
sort acountry schoolid id

runmlwin probuse cons, level3(acountry: cons) level2(schoolid: cons) level1(id:) discrete(distribution(binomial) link(logit) denominator(cons)) nopause

runmlwin probuse cons, level3 (acountry: cons) level2(schoolid: cons)level1(id:)discrete(distribution(binomial) link(logit) denom(cons)) mcmc(on) initsprevious nopause

*M1 : with social demographic predictors
runmlwin probuse cons male_r grade8 grade9 native_r, level3(acountry: cons) level2(schoolid: cons) level1(id:) discrete(distribution(binomial) link(logit) denominator(cons)) nopause

runmlwin probuse cons male_r grade8 grade9 native_r, level3 (acountry: cons) level2(schoolid: cons)level1(id:)discrete(distribution(binomial) link(logit) denom(cons)) mcmc(on) initsprevious nopause
GeorgeLeckie
Site Admin

Re: mcmc error

Post by GeorgeLeckie »

Hi Harrie,

Please post the log file output for this series of models (i.e. output as well as commands)

M1 is a three-level random intercept model, and it would be rare to get this message with that model (you are more likely to run into this error message when the model is a random-slope model). There might be something more seriously wrong with your model so it would be helpful to see the model output.

Best wishes

George