3 level multilevel data, multiple imputation, stata, runmlwi

Welcome to the forum for runmlwin users. Feel free to post your question about runmlwin here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Go to runmlwin: Running MLwiN from within Stata >> http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/runmlwin/
zahra777

3 level multilevel data, multiple imputation, stata, runmlwi

Post by zahra777 »

Hi.

I am planning to use runmlwin from stata to analyse my longitudinal data ( multilevel- 3 levels ), However, I have some missing values ( in my response and predictors). Does anyone know if I can use multiple imputation in Stata on my 3 level multilevel data and then use runmlwin?

Many many thanks!
Zahra
GeorgeLeckie
Site Admin

Re: 3 level multilevel data, multiple imputation, stata, run

Post by GeorgeLeckie »

Hello Zahra,

I don't think you can do multilevel multiple imputation in Stata. You can do single-level multiple imputation in Stata to create the multiple datasets (see mi manual). Alternatively, you could take a look at the free standalone REALCOM software which is also callable from within Stata as a means of generating multilevel multiple imputed datasets.

Once you have created your multiple datasets, you can then use the runmlwin command with the mi combine prefix to combine your results using Rubin's Rules in the usual way.

Best wishes

George
zahra777

Post by zahra777 »

Hi George,

Thank you for your reply.

I have a repeated measure data and have been reading this page http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/stati ... mi-impute/

It seems that strategy number 3 is suitable for my data:

Use a multivariate normal model to impute all clusters simultaneously

the only thing is that it says at the end of the article that these strategies assume data are in 2 levels that is why I was wondering if I can use the same strategy for my 3 level data.

Do you have any advice?
Much appreciated,

Many thanks
zahra
Zahra
GeorgeLeckie
Site Admin

Post by GeorgeLeckie »

Yes, in principle

If you have, for example, two level-1 measurements per level-2 cluster and two level-2 clusters per level-3 supercluster, you could reshape your data from long form (one record per level-1 unit) to wide form (one record per level-2 cluster) and then reshape to wide form a second time (one record per level-3 supercluster). Once you have imputed your data you would then reshape back to the original long form and fit your model of interest.

Clearly this approach won't work well if you have many units per cluster and imbalance

Best wishes

George
zahra777

Post by zahra777 »

Hi George

Many thanks for your answer,
I am very confused, :(

What is the best way to perform multiple imputation on a 3 level multilevel data so that I can analyse the imputed sets and fit models in mlwin?

I would have loved to use realcom but that only works for structure up to two levels ( I have 3)

I wanted to use mlwin macros but I read they only work if my missing values are at level 1 only, is that true? ( I have some level 2 predictors which are missing as well as level 1 predictors and response variables).

I was thinking of doing the multiple imputation in stata and then use runmlwin command to analyse the data in mlwin. But 1. I am not sure how multiple imputation on 3 level structure can be done in stata? and 2. if I can use runmlwin commands on the imputed sets even if they are not the outcome of realcom command in stata.

What do you suggest I should do?

I would greatly appreciate your input!
Sorry for lengthy question.
Zahra
GeorgeLeckie
Site Admin

Post by GeorgeLeckie »

Hi Zahra,

Creating and analysing the multiple imputed datasets are two distinct steps. So you can create the datasets using one package (e.g., realcom or Stata) and analyse them using another (e.g., MLwiN or Stata).

Once you have created the imputed datasets all you need do is fit your model of interest separately to each of the imputed data sets and then combine your results using Rubin's rules. You can either do this manually or, if you have fitted the models using a Stata command (e.g., mixed or runmlwin) by using the -mi combine- prefix in Stata.

So the only hard thing is how to create the imputed datasets. Your data are three-level with some missing values on variables at level-2 or level-3. As you point out runmlwin can only impute missing values at level-1 and only for continuous or binary variables.
RealCom is currently restricted to two-level datasets. So you will need to impute your data using some other approach.

The easiest approach would be to break your original data into three separate datasets one at each level and then create, say, five multiple imputed datasets at each level. This gives you 15 datasets. Merge the three levels bak together for each of the five imputations giving you five imputed datasets. Then more onto the analysis step. This approach is clearly not ideal so acknowledge the limitations in your write up.

Best wishes

George
zahra777

Post by zahra777 »

Many thanks for your advice!
So if I do as you suggested, break my original dataset to 3 datasets, do 5 MI for each in stata, merge the three levels bak together for each of the five imputations, will I be able to use stata runmlwin commands to do the analysis and fit the models in mlwin?

Do you know of any example which has gone through these steps? a link, a book or etc?

Many many thanks!

Zahra
GeorgeLeckie
Site Admin

Post by GeorgeLeckie »

Dear Zahra,

Yes, you can use runmlwin with the mi combine prefix in the same way as you would for any other Stata estimation command

The Stata Multiple Imputation manual provides full details

http://www.stata.com/manuals13/mi.pdf

Best wishes

George
stellaliu

Post by stellaliu »

Hi,

I have five imputed data sets and am using mi est together with runmlwin to run cross-classified model on imputed data sets and combine results using Rubin's rules (code below). But the mi est doesn't seem to work with mcmc estimation and I got this error message "model did not converge on m=1". It worked on individual imputed data set, using only runmlwin, but when I add mi prefix to combine the results, I got the error message. Can you help me understand why this happen? and is there any other way to run this analysis? thanks a lot!

Code: Select all

recast float POST, force
recast float PRE, force
gen cons=1
mi convert wide,clear
sort SCHID PID TID
runmlwin POST cons PRE, level3(SCHID: cons) level2(PID: cons) level1(TID: cons) nopause mlwinpath(C:\mlwin.exe) 
estimates store m1igls
mi est,cmdok:runmlwin POST cons PRE, level3(SCHID: cons) level2(PID: cons) level1(TID: cons) mcmc(cc) initsmodel(m1igls) nopause mlwinpath(C:\mlwin.exe)
ChrisCharlton

Post by ChrisCharlton »

I suspect that the cause of this error is that you are estimating your model of interest with MCMC which doesn't set e(converged) to 1 when it has finished iterating. The mi estimate command checks this returned value before carrying on with running the models. You should be able to work around this by searching for the following line in runmlwin.ado:

ereturn scalar mcmcdiagnostics = ("`diagnostics'"~="nodiagnostics")
and changing it to:

ereturn scalar mcmcdiagnostics = ("`diagnostics'"~="nodiagnostics")
ereturn scalar converged = 1