Index exceeds matrix dimensions query

Welcome to the forum for REALCOM users. Feel free to post your question about REALCOM here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Go REALCOM (Developing multilevel models for REAListically COMplex social science data) >> http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/realcom/
rjv

Index exceeds matrix dimensions query

Post by rjv »

Hello All,

I have been trying to conduct multiple imputation with a two level (occasion nested within individual) model that contains several continuous and categorical variables. However, when I click 'Start MCMC Run', I get the following error message:

??? Index exceeds matrix dimensions.
Error in ==> sampleymiss at 77
Error in ==> mcmcdriver at 889
Error in ==> gui_2levmixresp>pushbutton16_RunMCMC_Callback at 264
Error in ==> gui_mainfcn at 96
Error in ==> gui_2levmixresp at 46
Error in ==>
@(hObject,eventdata)gui_2levmixresp('pushbutton16_RunMCMC_Callback',hObject,even
tdata,guidata(hObject))
??? Error while evaluating uicontrol Callback

I've re-downloaded and installed the latest versions of both MLWIN and Realcom-Impute, tried moving all of my auxiliary variables except the constant to the response variables column and tried calling my categorical variables 'ordered' and 'unordered' and still get the same message. I also used a separate dataset I'm working with (that includes the same 2 levels (occasions nested within individuals) and got the same error message.

If anyone can provide any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong and how it might be handled, I would really appreciate it.

Many thanks,

Ryan
gindotampu

Re: Index exceeds matrix dimensions query

Post by gindotampu »

Hi all,

I've got the same problem and a bit of idea where the problem is [though not the solution].
Just before the lines posted above, in my case the command line window has:
no level 1, level 2 units = 15253, 2323.
???? Index exceeds matrix dimensions.

Questions: What is the size of acceptable index matrix? Does this overreach have to do with the number of level 2 and level 1 units [my presumption is it does]? Is it possible to re-allocate memory to this matrix to cope with certain combinations of level 2 and level 1 units? For instance, if I want to allocate most allocatable memory to Realcom Impute [given that some Windows OS have problems addressing all 16GB RAMs, not that I've got them], how to do so?
Is there a rough guide to increase memory for this apparently crucial matrix?

Thanks a lot to Bristol folks for the fantastic works all these years,
gindotampu
ChrisCharlton

Post by ChrisCharlton »

Could you check whether you still get the same problem with the most recent update of Realcom-Impute? There have been some recent bug fixes in the routine that this error message is referring to.

As far as the maximum memory it can use goes, Realcom-Impute is currently compiled as a 32 bit windows executable. This should mean that on a 32 bit system it can use up to 2Gb and on a 64 bit system up to 4Gb. This of course assumes that Windows is able to provide it with this much using a combination of RAM/Swapfile.
gindotampu

Post by gindotampu »

Dear Chris,

So far so good. I don't expect any more trouble with the June release.
Again, many thanks.
gindotampu