Using MLpowsin

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
dbutler13

Using MLpowsin

Post by dbutler13 »

Hi,

I'm wanting to use MLpowsim, and am attempting to teach myself using the manual examples on my personal PC. However, when the simu.txt macro is run an error message keeps looping "column c1096 is protected, overwrite protected column?" and then 'column c1098 is protected, overwrite protected column?', and I have to click yes or no repeatedly but no simulations seem to be actually calculated.

I'm using the latest version of MLwin but the trial version.

What am I doing wrong?
Thanks so much
Danielle
ChrisCharlton

Re: Using MLpowsin

Post by ChrisCharlton »

MLPowSim has not yet been updated to take into account a recent change to MLwiN regarding protecting output columns from estimation, which is why you are receiving this message. The workaround is to add the line:

Code: Select all

MARK 0
to the beginning of the generated MLwiN script, which turns off this check.
Chrisken

Re: Using MLPowSim

Post by Chrisken »

Hi. I have experienced the same problem with MLPowSim as described above. I added the two lines to the top of the simu.txt file:
CODE: SELECT ALL
MARK 0

An error message was returned: CODE: SELECT ALL, "Wrong parameters."
Can you suggest what I may have done wrong?
ChrisCharlton

Post by ChrisCharlton »

You only need to add the line MARK 0 to the top of the file. The CODE: SELECT ALL part is just the forum indicating that the following lines contain code and allowing you to select them (which can be useful if the amount of code is large).
stubecker1

Post by stubecker1 »

My solution to this was to use the command interface to unprotect the relevant columns:

MARK mode 0 c1090 c1091 c1092 c1093 c1094 c1095 c1096 c1097 c1098 c1098 c1099 c1100 c1101
ToniaFlores

Post by ToniaFlores »

Locate the columns mentioned in the error message (c1096 and c1098Only Up Game). These are the columns that the macro is trying to overwrite.