MLPowSim macro “analyse.txt” not working in MLWin

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
SabineKatzdobler

MLPowSim macro “analyse.txt” not working in MLWin

Post by SabineKatzdobler »

Good Day,

Currently I'm in the process of conducting a power analysis in MLWin based on the “tutorial”-dataset according to the MLPowSim-manual involving two levels. I tried it out several times to run the macros. However, I have met several challenges so far. In particular, in the macro “analyse.txt” I often encounter error messages.

Though “tutorial” is an exercise dataset and thus, has no missing values, the error message “missing values not allowed“ comes up after clicking “Execute” in the macro “analyse.txt”. Everything that comes after indicates a combination of error messages and single lines of code in red color.
In detail: After “Missing Values not allowed”-message, the line “CODE 3 1 -----” turns red. Then, I deleted this line and clicked “Execute” again. After this, the same error message comes up again involving a new line “CODE 4 ---” colored in red. In the following, I received an error message “not enough data” in combination with a line of code that starts with “SPLIT” and then “AVER” (again in red color). At the end, I clicked “Execute” again which resulted, however, in no reaction.

I would be glad if you could send me a recommendation on my procedure. What would you suggest is the problem behind? Thank you.

Regards,

Sabine
ChrisCharlton

Re: MLPowSim macro “analyse.txt” not working in MLWin

Post by ChrisCharlton »

I am not sure where the dashes in that syntax are coming from. Would it be possible to post the generated script, and if possible the inputs you gave to MLPowSim to create it?
SabineKatzdobler

Post by SabineKatzdobler »

Good day,

thanks a lot - please find attached the documentation. I would be thankful if you could help in terms of the error messages that include "missing values".
Attachments
tutorial data set.docx
(17.94 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
ChrisCharlton

Post by ChrisCharlton »

The files that you provided ran successfully in both MLwiN versions 3.04 and 3.05 for me.

You do not have to open a dataset prior to running the macro as all the values used are simulated. I set the current directory to the location of the macro files via Options>Directories, and opened the simu.txt macro file. I added the line MARK 0 to the start of this macro so that I didn't have to click to confirm each time it wrote to the results column and then pressed the Execute button. The script then ran without giving any errors.
grippingfossil

Post by grippingfossil »

Hi ChrisCharlton, penalty kick online
I appreciate your response.
I'm grateful. Thank you.