Weighting in pooled survey analysis - 3 levels

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
ajdbarros

Weighting in pooled survey analysis - 3 levels

Post by ajdbarros »

Dear users,
My Center uses national health surveys a lot. There is documentation on creating level 1 and level 2 weights for contextual analysis using surveys (https://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/ ... ights.html). But my problem is that I want to pool multiple surveys from different countries, adding a third level to the model. My question is how to extend the proposed weights to this situation? How should the survey weights (level 3) be calculated?
Thanks a lot!
Aluisio
carillonbeans

Re: Weighting in pooled survey analysis - 3 levels

Post by carillonbeans »

Once the samples are aligned, you can calculate the weights at the third level. Start by calculating the overall weight for each survey by combiningmoto x3m the weights from the first and second levels. Then, adjust the weights proportionally to align with the reference population at the third level.
tetroupploy

Re: Weighting in pooled survey analysis - 3 levels

Post by tetroupploy »

The third level of weight calculation may be performed once the samples have been aligned. Gather the first two levels' weights and combine them to get the total survey weight moto x3m. The next step is to make proportionate weight adjustments such that the third level reference population is satisfied.