Fitting a multilevel factor analysis for binary responses

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
luwisdiya

Fitting a multilevel factor analysis for binary responses

Post by luwisdiya »

Dear MLWin Users,

I have been trying to fit a multilevel factor model for binary responses (using the logit link). I have followed the example of the continuous case (with some minor adjustments - e.g. link function ). However when I move from fitting the multivariate model for binary responses using IGLS and change the estimation method to MCMC, the model fails to run and gives the Warning:

MCMC Error 1301: Factor analysis model require block-diagonal variance matrices.

Yes indeed when I looked at the equations window I find that there is a variance matrix which is not diagonal. The problem is that MLwin advises me that I should revert to IGLS to rectify this. But when I go back to IGLS the variance matrix would have disappeared.

Can somebody please advise me on how to properly fit a multilevel factor analysis for binary responses?

Regards,

Luwis