Is there a “More” or Update option in R2mlwin?

Welcome to the forum for R2MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about R2MLwiN here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Go to R2MLwiN: Running MLwiN from within R >> http://www.bris.ac.uk/cmm/software/r2mlwin/
adeldaoud

Is there a “More” or Update option in R2mlwin?

Post by adeldaoud »

What I would like to do is take an existing MCMC model and add more iterations to it.

If I have
(mymodel7 <- runMLwiN(normexam ~ 1 + standlrt + (1 | school) + (1 | student), estoptions = list(EstM = 1, mcmcMeth = list(burnin = 0,
iterations = 500),
startval = startval), data = tutorial))

Can I update mymodel7 by adding (updating) the model with 5000 iterations?

I know that there is an update() in R2mlwin, but I am just not getting the specifications correctly.

Thanks
ChrisCharlton

Re: Is there a “More” or Update option in R2mlwin?

Post by ChrisCharlton »

This option is currently not available, although you can get close by using the parameter estimates from the initial run as starting values for the second, and then merging the output chains. There is a saveworksheet() option that you can provide to R2MLwiN will allows you to specify a file used to store the MLwiN worksheet after a model run, so you could manually load this and do more iterations, however you will not be able to automatically bring these back into R. Once you know how long the model needs to be run you could then run it again in one go for the full length.