wrong hierachy

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
carriw

wrong hierachy

Post by carriw »

Hi
I have used MLwiN briefly before but I am having some problems with a current dataset. I have data from children (level 1-1013 of them) grouped in schools (level2 - 31) which were tested on days (level 3- 10). I have the worksheet sorted as required, by day, school then child. I did this in excel and then imported through a minitab worksheet version13.
The data LOOKS fine in MLwiN. However, when I build my models and look at the hierachy viewer it is only recognising 28 schools instead of 31, and I have no idea why or how to correct it as the data in the spreadsheet is correct.
The days are named 1-10, schools 1-31 and children each have a 5 digit unique identifier, which is sorted in ascending order within that level.
Any suggestions?
thanks
ChrisCharlton

Re: wrong hierachy

Post by ChrisCharlton »

Would it be possible to email me with a copy of your worksheet (or at least the ID variables) so we can look into this further?
carriw

Post by carriw »

Yes I can send you structure, thanks. What email address?
ChrisCharlton

Post by ChrisCharlton »

You can find my email on the following web page:

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/team/
ChrisCharlton

Post by ChrisCharlton »

The problem appears to be that there are three schools where all the observations contain some missing data. As these schools will be excluded from the model they are not counted in the hierarchy viewer.