MLPowSim - How to indicate a categorical predictor?

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
SabineKatzdobler

MLPowSim - How to indicate a categorical predictor?

Post by SabineKatzdobler »

Good day,

currently, I am trying to calculate the powersize via MLPowSim. In terms of the Model setup, users should indicate a type for the predictor x1 involving the options binary (=1), continuous (=2) and all MVN (=3). Let me please ask two questions:
  • I would like to know, which option (out of the three stated above) to indicate in case of a categorical predictor like job satisfaction (measured by a 10-point Likert-scale) for example.
  • In addition, I have a general question: Would you potentially consider transforming ordinal variables into continuous variables (e.g. z-score transformation) and subsequently choose the binary option (=1)?
Thank you.

Sabine
SabineKatzdobler

Re: MLPowSim - How to indicate a categorical predictor?

Post by SabineKatzdobler »

*Question solved" :)