Problem with level 1 . variance

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
georgecorbett

Problem with level 1 . variance

Post by georgecorbett »

Hi, I am running a three-level iterative measurement model with binary results (level 1, person level 2, area level 3). In my model I can't select the first level box when I add the cons because it doesn't appear, only the fixed parameters, level 2 and level 3 boxes appear.
How can I choose the level 1 variance. Thanks!
ChrisCharlton

Re: Problem with level 1 . variance

Post by ChrisCharlton »

If you are running a binary logit model then the variance is fixed at (π^2)/3 (≈3.29) rather than being an estimated parameter, and this is why you cannot add this to your model.

See the following FAQ for more information about variances: Partitioning variation across levels
Michael42

Re: Problem with level 1 . variance

Post by Michael42 »

ChrisCharlton wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:01 pm If you are running a binary logit model then the variance is fixed at (π^2)/3 (≈3.29) rather than being an estimated parameter, and this is why you cannot add this to your model.

See the following FAQ for more information about variances: Partitioning variation across levels
Hey, thanks! I am running a binary logit model and it really worked. :)