Boost runmlwin to Stata transmission speed

Welcome to the forum for runmlwin users. Feel free to post your question about runmlwin here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Go to runmlwin: Running MLwiN from within Stata >> http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/runmlwin/
ClayVega

Boost runmlwin to Stata transmission speed

Post by ClayVega »

Hi there, I'm using runmlwin to export model estimates from MLwiN to Stata. The models in MLwiN have excellent runtime. However, the speed of transmission back to Stata is somewhat slow. I assume this is probably because I have to add 30 fixed effects. Is it possible to accelerate the speed of MLwiN to Stata? I value your responses.
ChrisCharlton

Re: Boost runmlwin to Stata transmission speed

Post by ChrisCharlton »

When the model has finished running in MLwiN the various resulting outputs are saved to data files and then read into Stata. If you wanted to speed up this process you could look into whether you could reduce the amount of data that needs to be transferred (e.g. by not returning residuals or having shorter MCMC chains). Alternatively you could check whether the drive being using to store temporary files is slow, and if so switch to something faster.