To estimate a bivariate hierarchical linear model (2 dependent variables with 3 levels)

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
mvendrell

To estimate a bivariate hierarchical linear model (2 dependent variables with 3 levels)

Post by mvendrell »

Hi there! I'm having trouble estimating a bivariate hierarchical linear model and I'd be super grateful if you could help me.

I want to simultaneously analise the effect of a set of predictors on 2 dependent variables (mathematical competency and reading comprehension), with 3 levels: student, school and area. I really want to do it because I think knowing the covariation of these 2 DV at the 3 levels might be quite interesting.

The thing is: I know what to do to analyse these variables independently (univariate models): model-> equations; Y: dependent variable; N levels: 3, and so on.

But I have no idea how to estimate these two variables, with their 3 levels (student, school, area) simultaneously. I mean, which steps/buttons should I go through?

Many thanks in advance,
Mireia
ChrisCharlton

Re: To estimate a bivariate hierarchical linear model (2 dependent variables with 3 levels)

Post by ChrisCharlton »

I would recommend that you read through chapter 14 of the MLwiN user's guide which provides some examples of these type of model. If you have further questions then let us know.