manage "time" in longitudinal dyadic MCMC model

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
JeanSebastien

manage "time" in longitudinal dyadic MCMC model

Post by JeanSebastien »

Hi,

I have a dyadic data set with repeated measures. The time variable refers to the census years (6 consecutive years in total). In a non-dyadic setting, I think time would be a level-1 variable. In a dyadic setting I am not so sure. The existence of the dyad is based on time, so time is equivalent for both individuals (in the absence of one individual in the census the dyad does not exist in the dataset). However, the other individual might have other "active" dyads for that specific year. Also, time is closely correlated to age since the data covers more than 60 years. How should I treat time in that context? Thanks,
billb

Re: manage "time" in longitudinal dyadic MCMC model

Post by billb »

Hi JeanSebastien,
This seems more of a concept question rather than an MLwiN question. I think if you give more information about your data then it might be easier to answer and I am assuming the question is related to the earlier one you sent.
Best wishes,
Bill.
DarrylHicks

Re: manage "time" in longitudinal dyadic MCMC model

Post by DarrylHicks »

In a non-dyadic context, time is usually regarded as a level-1 variable, which represents individual observations over time. In a dyadic context, however, the notion of time becomes intertwined with the dyadic structure. Since the existence of a dyad is dependent on time, both individuals within it share the same time variable. Therefore, time cannot be considered a level-1 variable in the conventional sense.