Error Message: Variables random at bottom level

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
afclark82

Error Message: Variables random at bottom level

Post by afclark82 »

I am having problems with running a binary logit model. The model has two levels and when I try to run it I get the following error message: "Variables random at bottom level must not be used elsewhere in the model". Right now I have only stated a random intersept. No other variable is random.
ChrisCharlton

Re: Error Message: Variables random at bottom level

Post by ChrisCharlton »

The macro that is generating this error message is called "ERRCHK" and can be found in the "discrete" folder of the MLwiN application. You might be able to work out what is causing the problem by looking through the commands that this is running.

Another possible thing to try is to see if you can replicate the problem with the "bang" sample worksheet that is supplied with MLwiN. If so, can you attach the model/worksheet and I will see if I can work out what is causing the issue?