Endogeneity issues

Welcome to the forum for runmlwin users. Feel free to post your question about runmlwin here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Go to runmlwin: Running MLwiN from within Stata >> http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/runmlwin/
ThoreBischoff

Endogeneity issues

Post by ThoreBischoff »

Dear all,

I have a longitudinal dataset of firms and apply a 3-level logistic regression with time as level 1, firms as level 2 and regions as level 3 using Bayesian methods with the runmlwin command in Stata. I now wonder how I can account for possible endogeneity issues in my model that might arise from correlations between level 2 firm characteristics and omitted regional variables at level 3. For example, I have a variable on the R&D expenditures of firms. However, the decision of firms on how much money they spend on R&D is likely to be influenced by regional factors that I cannot observe. Is there any established procedure how I can deal with these kind of endogeneity issues? And if so, how can I implement this with the runmlwin command?

I am happy about any help!

Best,
Thore
ChrisCharlton

Re: Endogeneity issues

Post by ChrisCharlton »

I asked George about this and his reply was as follows:
I guess you could apply ideas from fixed versus random effects to panel data which are motivated by endogeneity concerns.

So you could enter region as fixed-effects dummy variables instead of as random effects.

The effects of the firm covariates will then only be pure within region comparisons.
ThoreBischoff

Post by ThoreBischoff »

Thank you very much for the response! From a practical point of view, would that mean to change the model to a 2-level model with time as level 1 and firms as level 2 and then adding i.region as an additional explanatory variable to the fixed part of the model?
ChrisCharlton

Post by ChrisCharlton »

That would be my interpretation of George's suggest as well.