Multilevel negative binomial ICC calculation with dummy predictors

Welcome to the forum for runmlwin users. Feel free to post your question about runmlwin here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Go to runmlwin: Running MLwiN from within Stata >> http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/runmlwin/
ferhattura19

Multilevel negative binomial ICC calculation with dummy predictors

Post by ferhattura19 »

Hi,
I fit a multilevel negative binomial model where level 1 is individuals and level 2 is groups. I have also dummy variables for a couple of categorical variables. I would like to calculate ICC but I am not sure how to do so although I have looked at Leckie et al (2020) and relevant R code provided: https://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/media/lec ... ie2020.pdf. (pages 85 and 87, but I am particularly interested in the model in page 87; Table 2: Model 4: Two-level random-intercept negative binomial model). I am not sure because they use this code for the fix part

# Fit model
fm4 <- glmmTMB(y ~ 1 + fsm + (1|school), data = absence, family = nbinom2)
summary(fm4)

# Linear predictor
absence$xb <- predict(fm4)
head(absence)

and I wonder whether I can use a similar code with my all dummy predictors. In other words, is that linear predictor a transformation of the fitted values of my dummy predictors from the model. I have done a bit of reading about this, and I think yes, meaning it does not matter if your predictors are continuous or dummies.

I would appreciate if you could confirm if that's the case or (if not) support me with an example R code.

model <- glmmTMB(count_outcome ~ sex + ethnicity2 + ethnicity3 + ethnicity2 +
age2 + age3 + age4 +
SEC2+ SEC3+ SEC4 +
disability + (1 | group),
data = mydata,
family = nbinom2)
Many thanks,
Ferhat
eremacaw

Re: Multilevel negative binomial ICC calculation with dummy predictors

Post by eremacaw »

It looks like you're trying to fit a multilevel negative binomial model with dummy predictors at level 1 (individuals) and a random intercept at level 2 (groups). To calculate the Intraclass Correlation Coefficient (ICC), you'll need to consider both the fixed and random parts of the model.
Here's a modification of your code to include dummy predictors in the fixed part:

# Fit the model
model <- glmmTMB(count_outcome ~ sex + ethnicity2 + ethnicity3 +
age2 + age3 + age4 +
SEC2 + SEC3 + SEC4 +
disability + (1 | group),
data = mydata,
family = nbinom2)

# Get the summary of the model
summary(model)

# Calculate ICC
total_variance <- attr(model, "varcor")$group[1]^2 + attr(model, "sigma")^2
icc <- attr(model, "varcor")$group[1]^2 / total_variance

# Print ICC
cat("Intraclass Correlation Coefficient (ICC):", icc, "\n")